Thursday, March 13, 2008

First steps, first words (maybe) and everyday pleasures













Hey, all. I know it has been a while since I have posted an update on Noelle-- but there is just so much to do now, and so little time! :) Noelle is doing very well, and settling into her role as an little Long Island girl quite nicely-- whatever did she do before she had a remote and a phone to play with??! And you can see from the pictures above that she is a good eater-- who knew egg noodles were so much fun!! Despite all of the food she eats, Noelle has only gained a pound and one inch since she's been home (not a good return on my grocery investment, if you ask me), but the IA doc says she is healthy. She is a little delayed in speech and gross motor skills, but I am not worried-- everyday she picks up something new!
Which brings me to the real news: Noelle has started to walk and, according to some sources, she has said her first words! The walking thing is for real, as I have seen it with my own eyes. She is still using her knees as her primary method of travel (it's faster :)), but she can takes steps on her own and we practice every day. As for her first word(s), the jury is still out on that one. A couple of weeks ago, Noelle was spending time at my sister's house, and Noelle was babbling as usual when she allegedly said "dog". Now, my sister's dog, Beans, has been known to inspire some words, but usually they are curses! But not only did my sister hear it, my nephew did too-- he was playing nearby (probably keeping Noelle away from his toys), and he whipped around and exclaimed "did she just say dog?" So the consensus is that dog was her first word. Unless you talk to her babysitter, that is. When I told Jane the "dog" story, she said she could swear that Noelle had said the word "duck" the day before. There is a lake outside my apartment, with a ton of geese and ducks, and Noelle loves to check them out-- and apparently talk about them. So there it is-- Noelle's first word was dog.. Or duck.. Or something that starts with a "d"..



6 comments:

dnd82001 said...

It all sounds so beautiful mommy!!

I am so happy you are settling in and apparently your littel Noelle is an animal lover, which is precious...................

Stay well,
Darlene

Kelly and Sne said...

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that everything is going well for you two. That reminds me of the time I was visiting with my girlfriend and her young daughter. I hadn't seen them in a couple of months and I was complimenting the girl on her purple outfit when she looked at me a said "pur-pel". I just stared at her like the cat just talked back to me! So, when this girl started to talk, she picked up a lot of words fast and hasn't really stopped talking since! All the best to you two! (We're still in the agonizing wait for an LOI - but hoping for one any day now - of course I've been saying that for a couple of weeks!).

Sonya said...

I am so happy to see new photos of Noelle! She looks awesome!

I take it that your little girl likes animals...especially if they start with a D!

I am so glad that things are going well for you! I think I hear "little guy" waking up from his nap now...so, more later!

Take care, Sonya

Trudi said...

so so cute - I love checking in on Noelle as our Kaz grandbaby (Aila, or Thumblini as the blog is called) is at about the same stage! Aila's first word: bananas.

Olga (i Pep i Ona) said...

Hi Jeannine and Noelle!
How nice to see new pictures! Jan is at home (3 weeks now!) and stares at pigeons when we go for a walk so I'm sure Noelle likes ducks!! I loved to see how Noelle is eating... I'm serving Jan just mashed food (acording with the pediatrician so that he can grow faster) but looking at Noelle I think he'll have to start dealing with little pieces of "real food"!
Lots of kisses from Jan for his roommate!
Olga (&Pep &Ona &Jan)

Miranda said...

Noelle is absolutely beautiful! I love seeing the new updates. Give her a kiss for me and Hannah!