Friday, November 30, 2007

Natalya


This is her! Natalya was given the thumbs up this morning by my international adoption doctor, and by this time next month she will be my daughter. Born on October 18, 2006, she is 17 pounds and is ? (I forget) inches long. Natalya was a good weight when born, but now she is a little skinny. The caregivers say she is so long that she is destined to be a model J More importantly, she is an inquisitive and happy little girl. When I arrived at the babyhouse this morning, all of the kids in her room were still in their cribs, but she was the only one standing and she let out a laugh when the caretaker and I walked in. Actually, I think she fancies herself a little bit of a clown—she likes to act silly and crack herself up. She has a funny, almost-toothless smile (I keep thinking she looks like my grandmother without her dentures!), wispy blondish brown hair and big brown eyes. And she is always checking out what is going on with the other kids, what they are doing or what toy they are playing with. Even when I was feeding her lunch, she still wanted to know what was going on with the others. By the way, I haven’t settled the issue of her name yet. Natalya is a name I like and had briefly considered months ago, so I may keep it or incorporate it into her full name, but that’s going to have to wait for now-- only one major decision per day!

All of the families are now in one large room for visitation. We head to the babyhouse twice a day, from 10am to 12pm and from 4pm to 6pm. Everyone spreads out a blanket to establish “their” play area, but by the end it is a little bit of a shambles as everyone moves around. There are 7 babies 14 months and younger, 3 two year olds and a 5 year old boy, plus 4 other children who traveled to Kaz with their parents to meet their new sister/brother, so it can get pretty hectic. In between sessions at the babyhouse, we usually hit the nearby shops for baby gear or to get groceries. (We just came back from a store actually that is like a Best Buy, but bigger and with triple the selection, and when you buy something they actually test it for you in the store before you leave to make sure it is in working order). The downtime is also computer time and if you are very lucky, nap time. Sleep is the thing I miss most about home!! I am sleeping about 4 ½ hours per night so far. I am so exhausted you would like a full night’s sleep wouldn’t be a problem but by 3:30am or 4am, I am wide awake. I am told that it takes about a week to settle in, so I am looking forward to that day. The hotel is comfortable; my room is pretty big and overlooks a pretty park. There is a bowling alley, so another couple and I took advantage of that last night—it was the perfect way to shake off a pretty stressful day. Sunday all of the families are going to the circus, which should be fun.

More tomorrow!

18 comments:

The Schmitt-Schilds said...

Congratulations on your daughter. She looks like a sweet little one. Enjoying your blog.
CS4

Matthew Ruley said...

She is GORGEOUS! And a clown to boot, a girl after my own heart! she sounds very sweet. Sorry the jetlag is getting you up early. I totally understand (happened to us when we went to Japan). Did you bring anythign to help you sleep? You'll catch up with the time soon. Any, glad you got there safe and it sounds like a successful journey so far! Suz

Sonya said...

It takes a while to get over the jet lag. I am now doing it in the opposite direction, which I think is worse (FYI)!

I love Natalya. She is a beautiful little girl. I remember her when we were there. I am glad you have chosen her.

Sonya

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Congrats, Jeannine! She is adorable. We're really looking forward to following along. We are so happy for you! Karen & Glenn.

The Baldwins said...

Congratulations - Natalya is beautiful! Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more about her during the next few weeks. Enjoy your time with her!
Pam

Angela said...

She sounds wonderful and is such a cutie! Congratulations!

AFlynn said...

I'm an Aunt!!! I love little Natalya already and can't wait to meet her! Someone to play trains with, Ronan will be thrilled! I want to see more pictures!
Ann

Unknown said...

Congrats! She is beautiful!!!

A week is about right on the sleep thing. I could never sleep more than 4 hours our first week in Kaz. After that it got much better.

Amy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Isn't it amazing that her name starts with an N? Destiny don't you think? I am so happy for you! Dreams do come true! Okay I better go now or I may start singing (typing) over the rainbow...LOL. Congratulations again!

Unknown said...

She is a beauty!! Congrats on being a mom!! Looking forward to more pictures!!

Kim P

Karen said...

What a cutie and she looks very healthy.

Congratulations and how ironic that her name starts with an "N." Destiny, huh?

So how does it feel to be a mom? You already sound like a mom—tired all the time. LOL

Very, very happy for you.

Regina said...

Wow, she is so beautiful!!!

Congratulations on crossing that very huge threshold. Now the REAL journey begins. I can't wait to see more photos!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, we are so happy for you! Natalya is a very lucky little girl. Gracie and Tommy can't wait to meet their new cousin.


BTW Ann, you were already an Aunt ;)

Grandma said...

I'm a grandmother again!!!!
Natalya is beautiful, and a wonderful choice. You weighed the same when you were her age, but we can fix that. She looks very healthy and from what you have said, she has a great personality. I would just love to hug her. Love

Nor said...

Congrats. She is a beautiful little girl. Kathleen & Ella will be very happy...too many boys in this group! Can't wait to see more pictures.

Sandi said...

Congratulations, Natalya is beautiful. I can't wait to follow the rest of your journey..

Here's hoping you get some good long sleep in soon.

Sandi

Sarah and Andrew said...

Yay! Congratulations Mom! Now that the stressful part is over the fun begins where you bond with your daughter. Have so much fun getting to know each other, we can't wait to see more pictures and follow along!

Anonymous said...

this is so exciting!! i am so happy for you. little natalya does not even know how blessed she is yet to have you as a mother, but you have a lifetime to show her. God Bless you both, have fun, stay safe, keep posting pictures and both of you come home as soon as possible.
best wishes, tara flynn