Monday, January 21, 2008

Know how to make a little Kaz girl cry? Give her a bath!

Well, the honeymoon is over. There are no pictures to mark the occasion-- just the reverberating cries of a little girl who is just a little bit mad at her mother tonight. And crying may not be the most accurate term to describe Noelle's reaction to her first real bath. Wailing might fit. Keening would work too. I knew going in it was going to be an event-- every blog has a story about that first bath, and how the kids hate them in the beginning. And I tried to be practical about it: I have been sticking to a sponge bath method to get her clean over the past week until she was more comfortable with me and her surroundings. I kept the water level low and skipped the bubbles. I held her close to talked to her as I undressed her, kept her warm and explained what was going on. I provided a distraction, in the form of a toy and her cousin who talked to her from the sidelines. But man, was it sad! She was shaking, and she cried more than I have ever heard, all times combined. The bath only lasted about two minutes, but Noelle is holding a little bit of a grudge. Dinner followed shortly thereafter and any time I said her name, she would turn her head away from me! At one point I thought she was warming up to me again-- she grabbed my hands and started walking toward me, but it turned out she was just trying to get the taco I was eating. (The girl never stops eating, did I mention that today?!) I hope she has forgiven me by tomorrow!

7 comments:

Sandi said...

Jeannine
Oh man that must be so hard. She will get use to it, it is just new for her. Maybe if you got a small blow up bath tub she might like that it is not so big? Or you could get in with her, some people have said that worked. I am sure she will be ok today. Hang in there I am sure she will continue testing you.

Sandi

kristen said...

Hi Jeannine, Wow, this sounds like a part I'd better prepare for! LOL. It sounds like you tried to make the transition as slowly as possible, and do all the 'right' things, and she still 'cried'! Wow. Well, I suppose this too shall pass and she'll be loving her baths in no time (even though it doesn't seem like that now!) Good luck with the next one and thanks for warning the other PAP's! :) ~Kristen

The Baldwins said...

Hi,
Both Sara and Maddie were terrified with their first baths, too. A small baby bathtub made all the difference with them. I think they felt more secure with the small tub. It only took them 3or 4 nights before they actually started to enjoy their baths.
Good luck!
Pam

John & Jenny Morgan said...

One of the only times Roxana has screamed bloody murder was during her first bath. Now she doesn't seem to mind so much, thank goodness. Otherwise, I might have a very dirty child since I could not stand seeing her so upset!

Amy said...

Congratulations on being back home!!! So glad to see that you made it back fine and that Noelle is doing well, in spite of the torture of THE BATH. I guess we now know the answer to the title question of your blog huh?

Regina said...

Hi Jeannine,

I've been out of town and out of touch, so I just got caught up on your blog. I'm so happy you made it home and I love all the new pictures of beautiful Noelle, as well as you and your family.

Sorry about the bath incident. Have faith it will get easier and easier. Maybe let her watch you take a bath a couple of times before you try again?

All the best,

Chris Sullivan said...

Baths? We don't need no stinking baths!