Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sleep, Must have sleep.




































It is 9:40pm on Sunday night, and Noelle and I are home! I mention the time because, by my count, 56 hours have passed since we received our wake up call Friday night to head to the airport. And out of the those 56 hours, I have slept 7 (maybe 8) hours. Our travel was long but relatively painless. We were traveling with several other families as far as Frankfurt, so the kids kept us occupied as we whittled away the hours. And man, were there hours to whittle! The flight from Almaty to Frankfurt (7 hours, I think) did not have any kind of movie or other entertainment-- so it was totally boring for the adults. Noelle was a trooper, however-- catching some zzz's here and there as you can see from the photos. (I finally slept a couple of hours on the Frankfurt to NY leg) And there was plenty of excitement to be had when we arrived at JFK. Immigration was a breeze, and we got through so quickly that part of our welcoming party got there after we did! My sister Ann and her husband and son, my brother Brian and my brother Terry and his son threw Noelle a little welcome home bash-- and somehow, we all found a way to stay awake through it. Noelle lost the battle around 7pm on Saturday, and I thought I was home free (silly, huh?!) I was just getting into bed at 11pm when she started to cry-- and that was the end of the sleep discussion until 2am. THEN I thought I was home free (I never learn) and finally fell asleep-- until 5am when Noelle was up again. This scene repeated itself several times throughout the day-- each time, with me thinking she is finally getting onto her schedule. Now she is down again-- I guess I will have to wait and see what tonight brings.

Noelle has settled very well into our home. She "walks" and crawls from room to room, and has been pretty pleased with the toys she has found. She absolutely loves her exer-saucer! So many people were concerned with the exersaucer once they found out how old she is-- thought she is too old for it-- but for now, it is doing the trick! She thinks it is hysterical to rock it back and forth, and she loves all the little things around her. She had fun meeting her cousins and playing with one of them again today. She met her first dog today, my sister's Australian Shepherd, Beans. Noelle was visibly nervous, but she didn't cry (that was reserved, strangely for her intense fear of a big teddy bear and Humpty Dumpty doll that belong to my nephew) She is eating everything in sight-- and is always trying to get to what is on my plate, a habit she picked up in Almaty. Probably because she was hungry-- the baby food they told us to pack for her definitely did not do the trick. On the menu tonight: spaghetti and chicken parm. I might need to get a second job if this keeps up!

10 comments:

Sandi said...

Jeannine,
I am so happy you guys are home safe and sound. That is fabulous. Welcome home Noelle.

I hope you guys are able to get some sleep.

Looking forward to updates and pictures.
Sandi

dnd82001 said...

I am so happy you are home and things are going along smoothly!
It will take a bit to catch up on all the sleep you need to feel 100% again but it will happen. Looking forward to the updates and give Noelle a great be welcome home from me!
Darlene

Monica said...

Welcome Home!

I'm glad the trip went well and Noelle got to meet some of her aunts, uncles and cousins right away!

Hope you two settle in well and get some sleep.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Love
Monica & Matt

Matthew Ruley said...

Welcome home! I dread that trip home- seems so long and hard, and too many things to carry and manage. But you are now home and can settle into being a family! So happy for you. Rest up!

Unknown said...

Welcome home! So glad to see you and YOUR DAUGHTER home safe and sound.

My son was (and still is 8mos after being home) terrified of stuffed animals. I have no idea why, but I certainly had to do some redecorating in his room since I had it full of stuffed horses.

Chris Sullivan said...

:) We love this post! Welcome home Noelle and Jeannine! She just fits under that table, doesn't she? That won't last long at all. What a wonderful family to have your welcome home party so perfect (small, sweet and heartfelt). I'm glad that the Beans introduction went well. Can't wait to hear how she's adjusting to cousins and cousins are adjusting to her. Get some sleep whenever you can!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful smile Noelle has! You don't look sleep deprived, and hopefully by now you have found your routine.

Yes, I agree with earlier posts that everyone dreads the return trip. But hopefully things calm down soon.
Shannon

Sonya said...

We are glad to hear that you are now home with Noelle. She is such a precious girl! We share your joy in seeing Noelle eating so well, and the need for extra $$ for food. Nicholas is eating everything he can, so much so that Brent is looking for a 3rd job!

Great to see you're at home! Hopefully the schedule adjustment will take place quickly for Noelle, and yourself!

Brent and Sonya

The Schmitt-Schilds said...

So glad you 2 are home safe and sound. It is a long, sleepless trip and then when you want to catch some z's, the kid doesnt let you. You will never forget your welcome home and the whole process. We were just reminiscing -remembering every detail like it was yesterday and its been a year and a week. Cant wait to meet her in the near future. Congratulations again mom and Noelle!
CS4

Karen said...

Welcome home Noelle and mom. You must be exhausted, trying to keep that little hunger machine fed. :-) So glad to hear that the flight and customs was relatively painless. Keep posting those great photos—love seeing Noelle's smile.