Friday, August 17, 2007

The answer is in the tea leaves..

Lord knows, there are some pretty unscientific ways to guess whether a pregnant woman is going to have a girl or a boy-- the old trick of swinging a ring over the mother's belly to see which way it spins or the mother's chinese horoscope/conception chart.. Then there are the old wives tales about baby girls taking the beauty of the mother or how the mothers carry differently if it is a boy vs. a girl. Not being pregnant, I didn't get to join in the fun-- until now.. Last night, some friends and I went out to dinner and got a reading from an Irish tea leaf reader.. Her verdict? I am going to be bringing home a boy-- or as she put it, I "should start buying baseball bats." To which my sister and I said "uh-oh"-- cause the few things I have bought so far have been for a girl.. The tea leaf reader also said I would be a mother by Christmas (which I loved because it would mean my schedule would be back on track!) and that it would be a great thing for me and a great thing for my baby. She also said she sensed that I was obsessed with something-- hmm, wonder what it could be???!! Traveling to a country on the other side of the world, alone, for a month or more, without speaking the language? How to pay for the trip, the daycare, the food, the clothes, the toys? Will my baby be healthy, happy? Can I do it all on my own? I don't know what she was talking about :)
Interestingly, she focused on two other things that she "saw" in the leaves: my health and my wedding. Yes, my wedding! She says that I will be married by October 2009, and that I already know the man I will marry, though I only know him casually and right now (obviously) it is not a romantic relationship. She got right down to describing the dress (like a glamourous evening gown but tea length-- no froufrou white wedding dress for me) and the ceremony (outside, near water with about 80 guests in attendance). It gives a girl hope!
The only "negative" topic in her reading was my health-- and it was more than a little creepy. She kept asking me when was the last time I had seen a doctor, and did I have any blood work done. Thankfully, due almost entirely to the adoption process, I have been in to see my doctor 4 or 5 times in the last 6 month, and I have a clean bill of health.. Still, she thinks I need to have my thyroid checked-- how am I going to explain that to my doctor?!?
So now I "know" (HUGE quotation marks there :)). I guess I better start shopping again..

4 comments:

Deborah Taub said...

Wow! Chris and I have no idea what to say to all of that information. Well, ok nothing keeps me quiet for long. First of all, you can buy whatever you want because your child will be a true feminist (read "equal rights") so it won't matter male or female. Second, who's the guy? We are quite curious. Are we two of the 80 people?

Unknown said...

I would love to learn to read tea leaves. I enjoy a cup of oolong nightly from www.tealaden.com and the leaves open so majestically I would love to know what they say in the bottom of my cup.

Anonymous said...

Jeannine,

I have a daughter from Karaganda. I was told about a year and a half before I adopted her, at "psychic party" that I would definitely "conceive a child and it would be a son!"

Kristen
Mommy to Annika Rose

Jeannine said...

Yes, I am taking all of the tea reader's "truth" with a grain of salt..Or sugar and cream-- they go better with the tea.. Heck, she's got a 50-50 shot, and even the world's worst "psychic" would do okay with those odds! Of course, I am picking and choosing the things I want to believe--like that a wedding is in the works as well as the baby :)
Deb, you and Chris can mark the calendar, you are definitely on the list, but the guy is still a mystery..
Kristen & Kaydee, thanks for your thoughts.. Kristen, I'd love to hear if you have any words of wisdom (borne from experience, not psychic ability!) And Kaydee, your tea must taste better than what the reader used-- that stuff was nasty!