Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"Karova" means cow. Too bad its the only Russian I know :(

So, while I wait for my paperwork to be processed in Kaz, there is obviously still a lot to do. I've bought just about everything I can buy for the trip. I've had my inoculations (Hep A, Hep B, tetanus, diphtheria & whooping cough). I have made contact with a local pediatrician Ann recommended, confirmed he is accepting new patients and takes my insurance. I have started stocking up on "baby staples", like diapers and wipes. And, I have been buying books on learning Russian. But that's it-- just buying them. So far, I have:
1. Russian for Dummies (Book & audio CD)
2. Charles Berlitz Passport to Russian
3. Lonely Planet Russian Phrasebook
4. Russian in 10 Minutes a Day; and
5. Unforgettable Languages Linkword Russian (DVD course)

I tried to listen to the "Russian for Dummies" CD, but in the first segment they start right out, speaking in complete sentences and faster than the most-native speaker. Now, I need to start A LOT slower. I am pretty sure that much of my communication in Kaz will probably be limited to one or two word phrases. And some pre-printed cue cards. And pantomime. LOTS of pantomime. And I am okay with that-- typical American traveler, it's so sad! I tried the DVD course too, but they started with animals and colors. Truly, I doubt I will need to know the word for dog, cat or cow-- but cow is all I remember. And blessedly I remember the word for "bed", but only because I think the mnemonic device they use for "bed" is a joke-- 'cause they use a French word to help teach the pronounciation of the Russian word!! What if you don't know French?? (It is insidious, I tell you!) So, now I have spent $100, easily, on these language books. And I am now eyeing a translation machine at Sharper Image that will do all the work for me. So maybe I haven't bought everything I can for the trip...

8 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

Hi - We're trying to learn Russian too (my husband is much better than me). This is a great website. http://www.alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/index.html

I love this page in particular to learn to pronounce the cyrillic language. http://www.alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/alphabet.html

Make sure you can identify the cyrillic for restroom, women and men, exit, and entrance!

Deborah Taub said...

I think you need to know the words for food you absolutely don't want to eat (in my case that is a fairly long list) so maybe cat and dog are not such bad words to know! Other key words (in my world anyway):
help!
food
taxi
sleep
baby
sick
chocolate
hurt
please
thank you
the words for money
and I absolutely agree with Mathew and Suzanne's suggestions---know which bathroom to go into! Also, (and I didn't think about this until we were driving through some fairly scary roads in the middle of nowhere Iceland) "danger" would be a helpful one to learn! :)
Nice posting Ms. Jeannine---just what I needed!

AFlynn said...

How many times can I vote? What about Niave? Any takers?

AFlynn said...

Don't forget to learn horse! Just in case you see it on a menu somewhere.

AFlynn said...

Debbie--if you can email me at amullan@aol.com
Thanks!

Deborah Taub said...

I love that the traditional spelling is winning! Has it surpassed the Nieve spelling yet? I'm trying to get others to vote too---as long as they agree with me. ;0
Debbie

KMartin said...

Perhaps you should learn the russian word for horse, also. My wife says she is going to learn this word if no other so she can spot it on the menus . . . and avoid it!

-Keith Martin

Jeannine said...

Thanks, Keith.. I thought I could skip over the animals, but you definitely have a point! I don't want to end up with anything close to horse for dinner..