Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Inaugural Post

Today is July 3rd, and by now, my dossier should be in Kazakhstan! Here is a little timeline for anyone who didn't have to hear about every little piece of paper I sent or received:

March 10, 2007.. My meeting with Janice Bergeron at Children At Heart Adoption Agency in Mechanicville, New York.. Prior to this meeting, I had investigated more than a dozen agencies before narrowing it down to 3: CAH, The Datz Foundation (where I worked during 1st year of law school) and Commonwealth.. I had actually found Children at Heart by accident, while doing a search for ways to finance an adoption-- I read the blog of one of their adoptive parents and hooked on the children of Kazakhstan.. By the time I met with Janice, I was also hooked on Children at Heart and Kathy Galeta, the assitant director, who always takes the time to answer my questions, crazy as they may be!

March 10, 2007.. Mailed my fingerprints to the FBI & NY State Registry (to make sure I am not a criminal)..

March 12, 2007.. I-600a submitted to USCIS (formerly INS)-- they need to give a thumbs up to me bringing the baby back to the US.

March 25, 2007.. Home study visit with my social worker..

April 24, 2007.. Home study complete, reviewed, corrected and submitted to Children at Heart and USCIS.. Time to focus on the dossier!

May 26, 2007.. Finally-- approval from USCIS!! This is the last big hurdle to completing my dossier..

May 31, 2007.. Dossier complete and in the hands of Children at Heart.. Now they just need some money!

June 15, 2007.. Yay! My dossier is being submitted to the Kaz consulate in NYC..

June 27,2007.. Dossier back from Consulate and on its way to Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs..


So, now there is just more waiting.. There is a Kaz holiday until July 20th, so I don't expect any progress until after that.. The current path is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then the Ministry of Education and finally the Letter of Invitation to travel to Kaz.. So I am planning for a fall "baby", I think..

The only question now: Will that sweet child be a little girl named"Niamh" (an Irish name I love, pronounced "Neeve") or a little boy named "Daniel"? Stay tuned..

No comments: