Thursday, July 12, 2007

Taking a few steps back..

I think I took more than a few people by surprise earlier this year when I announced that I was adopting a baby from Kazakhstan. The funny thing is, I was surprised that they were surprised. Adoption is something that I have had an interest in for years. I worked at an adoption agency during my first year at law school, and later did an internship at a law firm that specialized in contesting international adoptions. If I could have gotten a job out of law school working in adoption I would have-- I sent resumes to a dozen or so adoption attorneys in the New York City area (more than once!). That wasn't to be, and mortgages were doing a booming business so that's what I ended up doing-- but I thought it was always understood that I would someday adopt myself. Maybe they had forgotten I talked about it.. Maybe they figured that when I finally got married, I would start a family with my husband.. Or maybe it was that I had set out a timeline for myself long before I announced any of my plans to my family-- so to them it seemed sudden, but in reality it had been in the works for a while.. I don't know, but the response was a little unsettling.

So, why did I decide to adopt a child? And why Kazakhstan? The 1st "why" is easy: I want to adopt a child because I have seen the joy a child can bring to a mother, and I want to experience that first-hand with my own child. As I haven't found "Mr. Right" yet, I had to consider how to create my own family. I think I have a lot of love to give, and I can think of no better way to show it then to give a child a safe, happy, and nurturing home. So, I started investigating different adoption programs-- both domestic and abroad. I spoke to my aunt, the social worker, about adopting children through the foster care system. I attended a seminar that focused on adopting newborns here in the U.S. And I kept going back to international adoption, perhaps because that is what I was most familiar with. But the bottom line is that, for many reasons, I also think international adoption is what fits my particular situation best. So, why Kazakhstan? Part of the answer is practical-- not every country allows single women to adopt. So China, which I had long considered, was out, as was the Ukraine. Then there the age of the children available, the length of the process.. This undertaking-- the paperwork, the travel, even the cost (especially the cost!) is not for the faint of heart! Kazakhstan uses what is called a "blind" process for identifying an adopted child-- so I won't know who my child is until I go there an find him or her. And the travel is going to be crazy-- one or two months in Kazakhstan depending on whether I decide to make one trips or two (I'll explain the whole process some other day for anyone who is interested).. It is daunting at times but I feel it in my heart that my "family" is in Kazakhstan waiting for me, waiting to be found.

4 comments:

Deborah Taub said...

Does this mean that you are naming your child Niamh or Daniel? Just checking. By the way, not at all shocked about the adoption just hadn't heard anything leading up to it in a few years so maybe excitedly surprised (is that a phrase?) when I heard about it. I am very excited about the whole thing! It is like I am getting a niece!!

Deborah Taub said...

or nephew!

AFlynn said...

Hey I am getting a neice (or nephew)! I couln'd be happier! Stay strong!

AFlynn said...

By the way--let me know who this is and I'll let them have it.